© 2005-2012 American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO). All rights reserved worldwide.
ON THIS PAGE: You will find some questions to ask your doctor or other members of your health care team, to help you better understand your diagnosis, treatment plan, and overall care. To see other pages in this guide, use the colored boxes on the right side of your screen, or click “Next” at the bottom.
Talking often with the doctor is important to make informed decisions about your health care. These suggested questions are a starting point to help you learn more about your cancer care and treatment. You are also encouraged to ask additional questions that are important to you. You may want to print this list and bring it to your next appointment, or download Cancer.Net’s free mobile app for an e-list and other interactive tools to manage your care.
- What type of anal cancer do I have?
- What is the stage and grade of my cancer? What does this mean?
- Can you explain my pathology report (laboratory test results) to me?
- What are my treatment options?
- What clinical trials are open to me?
- What treatment plan do you recommend? Why?
- What is the goal of each treatment? Is it to eliminate the cancer, help me feel better, or both?
- Who will be part of my health care team, and what does each member do?
- Who will be coordinating my overall treatment and follow-up care?
- What are the possible side effects of treatment, both in the short term and the long term?
- Will I need a colostomy bag?
- Could this affect my bowel function? If so, for how long?
- Could this treatment affect my sex life? If so, how and for how long?
- Could this treatment affect my ability to become pregnant or have children? If so, should I talk with a fertility specialist before cancer treatment begins?
- How will this treatment affect my daily life? Will I be able to work, exercise, or perform my usual activities?
- If I’m worried about managing the costs related to my cancer care, who can help me with these concerns?
- What are the chances that the cancer will recur?
- What follow-up tests will I need, and how often will I need them?
- How can I keep myself as healthy as possible during treatment?
- What support services are available to me? To my family?
- Whom should I call for questions or problems?
To continue reading this guide, choose “Next” (below, right) to see some additional resources that may be helpful to you. Or, use the colored boxes located on the right side of your screen to visit any section.