© 2005-2012 American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO). All rights reserved worldwide.
Talking often with the doctor is important to make informed decisions about your health care. These suggested questions are a starting point to help you learn more about your cancer care and treatment. You are also encouraged to ask additional questions that are important to you.
- What type of Hodgkin lymphoma do I have?
- How experienced are you in treating patients with Hodgkin lymphoma?
- Can you explain my pathology report (laboratory test results) to me?
- Has my biopsy been reviewed by a pathologist who is an expert in lymphoma?
- What is the stage of my Hodgkin lymphoma? What is the subtype?
- What good and poor prognostic factors do I have?
- What treatment options do I have?
- What clinical trials are open to me?
- What treatment plan do you recommend? Why?
- What chemotherapy treatment do you recommend? How many treatments? Why?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of chemotherapy alone versus chemotherapy plus radiation treatment?
- What, if any, radiation treatment do you recommend, and why?
- Who will be part of my health care team, and what does each member do?
- Who will be coordinating my overall treatment and follow-up care?
- What are the possible side effects of treatment, both in the short term and the long term?
- Should I get a second opinion?
- How will this treatment affect my daily life? Will I be able to work, exercise, and perform my usual activities?
- Could this treatment affect my sex life? If so, how and for how long?
- Could this treatment affect my ability to become pregnant or have children? If so, should I talk with a fertility specialist before cancer treatment begins? If I’m a man, should I bank my sperm?
- If I’m worried about managing the costs related to my cancer care, who can help me with these concerns?
- How can I stay as healthy as possible during treatment?
- What follow-up tests will I need, and how often will I need them?
- What support services are available to me? To my family?
- Whom do I call for questions or problems?