ON THIS PAGE: You will find some questions to ask your doctor or other members of your health care team, to help you better understand your diagnosis, treatment plan, and overall care. To see other pages, use the menu on the side of your screen.
Talking often with the doctor is important  to make informed decisions about your child’s health care. These suggested questions are a starting point to help you learn more about your child’s care and treatment. You are also encouraged to ask additional questions that are important to you.
- Where is the cancer located?
- What is the stage of the cancer? What does this mean?
- What risk group has my child’s neuroblastoma been classified as? What does this mean?
- Does my child’s tumor secrete any tumor markers?
- Can you explain my child’s pathology report (laboratory test results) to me?
- What are the treatment options?
- What clinical trials are open to my child?
- Does this hospital participate in clinical trials for children with neuroblastoma?
- What treatment plan do you recommend? Why?
- What is my child’s prognosis?
- How many children with neuroblastoma are seen and treated at this hospital?
- Who will be part of my child’s health care team, and what does each member do?
- Who will be coordinating my child’s overall treatment and follow-up care?
- What are the possible side effects of this treatment, both in the short term and the long term?
- Could this treatment affect my child’s ability to have a child (fertility) in the future? If so, what fertility preservation options are available before treatment begins?
- How will this treatment affect my child’s daily life? Will he or she be able to attend school or perform his or her usual activities?
- If I’m worried about managing the costs related to my child’s medical care, who can help me with these concerns?
- What follow-up tests are needed, and how often are they needed?
- What support services are available for my child? For my family?
- Whom do I call for questions or problems?
The next section offers some more resources that may be helpful to you. Use the menu on the side of your screen to select Additional Resources, or you can select another section, to continue reading this guide.