To learn more about estrogen and progesterone receptor testing for breast cancer, consider asking your doctor the following questions:
- What are the results of the ER and PR tests on my tumor sample? What do they mean?
- Does this laboratory meet the standard guidelines like those from ASCO and the CAP?
- Is a board-certified pathologist on my treatment team?
- Do you know if this is an experienced lab and if my tissue was quickly given to the pathologist after my biopsy or surgery as recommended by guidelines?
- Can I obtain a copy of my pathology report (laboratory test results)?
- Is my ER and PR status indicated on the pathology report? Was the ASCO-CAP guideline recommendation used to define the status?
- Based on these test results, what treatments do you recommend and why?
- What are the possible side effects of these treatments?