© 2005-2012 American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO). All rights reserved worldwide.
Consider asking the following questions of your doctor:
- Do you recommend that I have a SNB? Why or why not?
- Where is the sentinel lymph node located for my specific melanoma?
- What are the risks of SNB?
- When will I know the results and who will explain them to me?
- What further tests will be needed if the results indicate cancer?
- Will I need a lymph node dissection?
- What are the risks of a lymph node dissection?
- If I need a lymph node dissection, what can I do to prevent lymphedema?
- What follow-up care will I need after a SNB and/or a lymph node dissection?
- What clinical trials are available for patients with melanoma that has spread to the lymph nodes?