© 2005-2012 American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO). All rights reserved worldwide.
To learn more about HER2 testing for breast cancer, consider asking your doctor the following questions:
- Which test was done on my tumor, IHC or FISH?
- What are the results of the HER2 test on my tumor sample? What do they mean?
- Is the laboratory accredited in accordance with the ASCO-CAP guidelines for HER2 testing?
- Can I obtain a copy of my pathology report (laboratory test results)?
- Is my HER2 status indicated on the pathology report?
- Based on these test results, what treatments do you recommend? Why do you believe these are the best options for this type of cancer? What are the possible side effects of these treatments?
- Are my HER2 test results similar to those of the patients who received trastuzumab in the research studies referred to in the ASCO HER2 Guideline? What does this mean?