© 2005-2012 American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO). All rights reserved worldwide.
Consider asking your doctor the following questions:
- Do you recommend that I have a SNB? Why or why not?
- Do you recommend an axillary lymph node dissection instead? Why or why not?
- What are the risks of the procedure you recommend?
- If I need an axillary node dissection, what can I do to prevent or minimize the risk of lymphedema?
- Can you recommend an experienced surgeon to perform this procedure?
- When will I know the results? How will they be communicated to me?
- What further tests will be necessary if the results are positive (indicates cancer)? What if they are negative? What follow-up care will I need after the procedure?
- Will I have a surgical drain after surgery?
- What can I expect in terms of range of motion in my arm?
- Will I need to do daily exercises after surgery?
- Where can I find more information?