It’s about the time that the doubt starts creeping in. Those New Year’s resolutions that seemed like such a good idea just a week ago are now staring you right in the face. You might be asking yourself: “How am I ever going to do this?!”
Making significant changes in your life and health is not easy, and you will inevitably come up against obstacles and setbacks. So, determination and perseverance will be key. Here are 10 ideas to help you get started and stay on course.
- Start small. Focus on what you are doing now to reach your ultimate goals by breaking long-term goals into smaller, more manageable short-term goals.
- Prioritize your goals to keep yourself focused and avoid being overwhelmed.
- Have a positive attitude and believe that your goals are possible and within reach. You need to believe in your goals (and yourself) to make them happen.
- Pace yourself and recognize that achieving your goals may take time.
- Expect setbacks and prepare for ways to deal with any challenges that may arise while trying to meet your goals.
- Learn from your mistakes.
- Take credit for your success when you make progress or achieve a goal. Reward yourself frequently so you can feel good about the effort you are making.
- Consider meeting with a counselor to help you solve problems and manage complex emotions. You can get more information about finding a counselor on Cancer.Net.
- Share your goals and progress with your friends or relatives. Ask them to help you stay motivated and focused on your goal.
- Enjoy yourself! Making positive life changes should be just that—a positive experience.