Meningioma - Statistics

Approved by the Cancer.Net Editorial Board, 04/2016

ON THIS PAGE: You will find information about how many people are diagnosed with meningioma each year. You will also learn some general information on surviving the disease. Remember, survival rates depend on several factors. To see other pages, use the menu.

A primary brain tumor is a tumor that begins in the brain. In the United States, meningioma accounts for more than 36% of primary brain tumors. About 24,880 people will be diagnosed with meningioma in 2016.

As discussed in the Introduction, about 80% to 90% of meningiomas are noncancerous. The remaining 10% to 20% are likely to come back after treatment, and 1% to 3% of these become cancerous.

The 10-year survival rate tells you what percent of people live at least 10 years after the cancer is found. Percent means how many out of 100. The 10-year survival rate for malignant meningioma is around 57%. Survival rates for meningioma depend on several factors, including whether the tumor is cancerous and the patient’s age. Age has a large effect on survival of malignant meningioma. The 10-year survival is around 82% for people aged 20 to 44 years, and around 36% for people aged 75+ years.

It is important to remember that statistics on how many people survive this type of cancer are an estimate. The estimate comes from data based on people with this cancer in the United States each year. So, your own risk may be different. Doctors cannot say for sure how long anyone will live with meningioma. Also, experts measure the survival statistics every 10 years. This means that the estimate may not show the results of better diagnosis or treatment available for less than 10 years. Learn more about understanding statistics.

Source: Central Brain Tumor Registry of the United States and the American Brain Tumor Association.

The next section in this guide is Medical Illustrations. It offers drawings of body parts often affected by this disease. Or, use the menu to choose another section to continue reading this guide.