ON THIS PAGE: You will find some questions to ask your doctor or other members of your health care team, to help you better understand your child’s diagnosis, treatment plan, and overall care. To see other pages, use the menu on the side of your screen.
Talking often with the doctor is important to make informed decisions about your child’s health care. These suggested questions are a starting point to help you learn more about your child’s care and treatment. You are also encouraged to ask additional questions that are important to you. You may want to print this list and bring it to your child’s next appointment, or download Cancer.Net’s free mobile app for an e-list and other interactive tools to manage your child’s care.
- What type of tumor does my child have?
- Where is it located?
- Is it cancerous?
- If so, what stage is the cancer?
- Can you explain my child’s pathology report, or laboratory test results, to me?
- What are my child’s treatment options?
- What clinical trials are open to my child? Where are they located, and how do I found out more about them?
- What treatment plan do you recommend? Why?
- What is the goal of each treatment? Is it to eliminate the tumor, help my child feel better, or both?
- What are the possible side effects of this treatment, both in the short term and the long term?
- How will this treatment affect my child’s daily life? Will my child be able to go to school and perform his or her usual activities?
- If I am worried about managing the costs related to my child’s medical care, who can help me with these concerns?
- Could this treatment affect my child’s ability to become pregnant or have a child in the future?
- Who will be part of my child’s health care team, and what does each member do?
- Who will be coordinating my child’s overall treatment and follow-up care?
- What are the chances that the tumor will recur?
- What follow-up tests will my child need, and how often will he or she need them?
- What support services are available to my child? To my family?
- Whom should I call for questions or problems?
The next section offers some more resources that may be helpful to you. Use the menu on the side of your screen to select Additional Resources, or you can select another section, to continue reading this guide.