ON THIS PAGE: You will read about the scientific research being done to learn more about this type of tumor and how to treat it. Use the menu to see other pages.
Doctors are working to learn more about parathyroid cancer, ways to prevent it, how to best treat it, and how to provide the best care to people diagnosed with this disease. Finding a health care team with experience treating this disease is important, as well as one with active collaborations across specialties and participation in clinical trials.
The following areas of research may include new options for patients through clinical trials. Always talk with your doctor about the best diagnostic and treatment options for you.
- Better treatment for hypercalcemia. Researchers are exploring new medications to reduce high calcium levels in the blood.
- New cancer drugs. New medications, including immunotherapy, may be future treatment approaches for this type of cancer. Learn more about the basics of immunotherapy.
- Tumor genetics. Researchers are looking at the genes, molecular structure, and other features of parathyroid tumors to learn more about them.
- Family genetics. Researchers are working to learn more about why this type of tumor can run in certain families (see Risk Factors).
- Palliative care/supportive care. Clinical trials are underway to find better ways of reducing symptoms and side effects of current parathyroid cancer treatments to improve comfort and quality of life for patients.
Looking for More About the Latest Research?
If you would like more information about the latest areas of research in parathyroid tumor, explore these related items that take you outside of this guide:
- To find clinical trials specific to your diagnosis, talk with your doctor or search online clinical trial databases now.
- Visit the website of Conquer Cancer, the ASCO Foundation, to find out how to help support cancer research. Please note that this link takes you to a separate ASCO website.
The next section in this guide is Coping with Treatment. It offers some guidance in how to cope with the physical, emotional, social, and financial changes that cancer and its treatment can bring. Use the menu to choose a different section to read in this guide.